- School Info
- High School
Title 1 District-School Parent Involvement Policy
504 Dakota Avenue
Wilton, ND 58579
PART I. DISTRICT EXPECTATIONS
Each school district must establish the district’s expectations for parental involvement. [Section 1118(a)(2), ESEA.]
The Wilton Public School District agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
- The school district will put into operation programs, activities, and procedures for the involvement of parents within the Title I program. Those programs, activities, and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children.
- The school district will work to ensure that the required school-level parental involvement policies meet the Title I requirements, and include, as a component, a school-parent compact.
- The school district will incorporate this parental involvement policy into its district plan.
- In carrying out the Title I parental involvement requirements, to the extent practicable, the school district will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with children with limited English proficiency, parents with children with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports in an understandable and uniform format, and, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents understand.
- If the district plan for Title I is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school district will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school district submits the plan to the Department of Public Instruction.
- The school district will involve the parents of children served in Title I in decisions about how the one percent of Title I funds reserved for parental involvement is spent, and will ensure that not less than 95 percent of the one percent reserved goes directly to the schools. (Only applicable for districts with Title I allocations greater than $500,000.) This doesn’t apply to our school district
- The school district will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and expects that the school will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
- The school district will inform parents and parental organizations of the purpose and existence of the Parental Information and Resource Center in North Dakota (i.e., NDPASS in Minot, ND).
PART II. DISTRICT/SCHOOL PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY REQUIRED COMPONENTS
1. The Wilton Public School District will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its district/school parental involvement plan:
- Fall Parent Meeting
- Parent Survey
- Parent Committee to develop parent policy
2. The Wilton Public School District will convene an annual meeting, at a convenient time, to which all parents of participating children shall be invited and encouraged to attend, to inform parents of their school’s participation under this part and to explain the requirements of this part, and the right of the parents to be involved,
- Parent Annual Meeting is scheduled in August at the Back to School Night.
- Parent Packet for parents unable to attend parent meeting
3. The Wilton Public School District will offer a flexible number of meetings, such as meetings in the morning or evening, and may provide, with funds provided under this part, transportation, child care, or home visits, as such services relate to parental involvement;
- Parent/Teacher Conference
- Annual Parent Meeting
- Individual Conference at convenient time
- Open Invitation to visit Title 1Room
4. The Wilton Public School District will provide the following necessary coordination, technical assistance, and other support in planning and implementing effective parental involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance:
- Staff meetings
- In service meetings
- School-Parent Compact
5. The Wilton Public School District will build the school’s and parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership with the school involved, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, through the following activities specifically described below:
A. The school/district will provide assistance to parents as appropriate, in understanding topics such as the following.
- the state’s academic content standards,
- the state’s student academic achievement standards,
- the state and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- the requirements of Title I,
- how to monitor their child’s progress,
- how to work with educators
- Brochure of How Title I works
- Title 1 Progress Reports
- Annual Adequate Yearly Progress Reports
- School Profile
- Power School
- School-Parent Compact
The Wilton Public School District will provide parents of participating children, if requested by parents, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children, and respond to any such suggestions as soon as practically possible.
- Permission letter/form
- Parent Meeting
- Reading/Math Assessments
- Inform Curriculum
- Parent Phone Call / E-Mail
B. The school/district will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement, by:
- Power School
- E-mail correspondence
- Educational Websites
C. The school/district will, with the assistance of parents, educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools, by:
- Teacher In service
- Brochures with parent tips
- Teacher workshops
- Title 1 State Meetings
D. The school/district will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Head Start, Reading First, Early Reading First, Even Start, Home Instruction Programs for Preschool Youngsters, the Parents as Teachers Program, and public preschool and other programs, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children, by:
We don’t have these programs; this doesn’t apply.
E. The school/district will take the following actions to ensure that Title I information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand:
- Parent information packets
6. The Wilton Public School District will coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies under Title I with parental involvement strategies under the following other programs: [Insert programs, such as: Head Start, Reading First, Early Reading First, Even Start, Parents As Teachers, Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youngsters, and state-operated preschool programs], by
We don’t have these programs: this doesn’t apply
7. The Wilton Public School District will take the following actions to conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy in improving the quality of the Title I program. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities (with particular attention to parents who are economically disadvantaged, are disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background). The school district will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
- Yearly the parent policy will be distributed to all participating parents. The Title 1 Teacher will send out the survey and tabulate results and share them at the Annual Review meeting and parent meeting.
8. The Wilton Public School District will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement:
- Parent survey
- Annual Review Meeting
9. If the schoolwide program plan is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, submit any parent comments on the plan when the school makes the plan available to the local educational agency.
We are a target assisted school; this doesn’t apply.
PART III. SHARED RESPONSIBLITIES FOR HIGH STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
As a component of the school-level parental involvement policy, each school shall jointly develop with parents for all children served under this part a school-parent compact that outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement.
- Parents/Title 1 Teacher/Principal Committee to develop
PART IV. DISCRETIONARY DISTRICT/SCHOOL PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
The District/School Parental Involvement Policy may include additional paragraphs listing and describing other discretionary activities that the school district, in consultation with its parents, chooses to undertake to build parents’ capacity for involvement in the school and school system to support their children’s academic achievement, such as the following discretionary activities:
- Pay reasonable and necessary expenses associated with parental involvement activities.
- Lunch at parent meeting
- Supplies of games/books sent home
- In order to maximize parental involvement and participation in their children’s education, arrange school meetings at a variety of times.
- Annual Parent Meeting after school/evening
- Parent-Teacher Conference after school/evenings
- Reschedule opportunities
- Provide other reasonable support for parental involvement activities.
PART V. ACCESSIBILITY
In carrying out the parental involvement requirements of this part, districts and schools, to the extent practicable, shall provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with children with limited English proficiency, parents with children with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports in a format and, to the extent practicable, in a language such parents can understand.
- Discussion with parents
PART VI. ADOPTION
This District/School Parental Involvement Policy has been developed jointly with, and agreed on with, parents of children participating in Title I programs, as evidenced by Parent Meeting Minutes .
This policy was adopted by the Wilton Public/Wilton Public District #1.
(Signature of Title I Authorized Representative)
This template of a District/School Parental Involvement Policy has been developed by combining two documents, the modified version of the sample provided in the U.S. Department of Education Parental Involvement Guidance and the sample of the School Parental Involvement Policy provided by the North Dakota Title I Office.